Skip to main content

11 Rules for Life - Review




This is a spoiler-free post. Read on safely :)


A few weeks ago, I was on a call with a classmate of mine to work on a course project. We were working pretty late, and for a brief while, his cousin joined us. It was fun to talk to someone who is a few years into your stream. Gives you a brief overview of the future you think you want. When the conversation drifted towards books, he told me about this recent book he read. It was the 11 rules for life, by Chetan Bhagat. I told him I had seen it on the author’s Instagram page, and he proceeded to talk about the book, and how he found it different. At first, I asked if he found any resemblance between this and “The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari” by Robin Sharma. He hadn’t read the book, apparently. I joked about it and mentioned it kinda was the same but presented the ideas in a different narrative. Our conversation ended on a good note, and so did my project. 


One day at the final exam of my fourth semester, the very subject for which I was doing that project, I saw the book go on sale. I quickly ordered a hard copy of it. It arrived as soon as I completed my exam, and I picked it up later that night. Over the next two days, I binge-read as frequently as I could, and I finished it.


Was the book life-changing? Probably not for me. But there were two things about the book that got me hooked. One, it was well-suited for a quick read. For someone who had to take a sabbatical from intensive reading due to exam prep and somehow witnessed the habit wither away, the book was well-paced and not so boring in terms of advice (since it’s a self-help book, I was expecting a lot of “Do this, do that”. They were there, but not in an open-ended way.) Second, I really admired how the author had been candid in certain instances. It made the reading experience realistic. 


I’ve read other Chetan Bhagat books. And I’ve read quite a few self-help books too. Not a huge fan, but I do need my “in my productive era” sessions once in a while. But this book pointed out where I could find a few missing pieces in my puzzle. So overall, if you’re looking for an actionable read, you should definitely give this a try. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for your actionable review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is this Mr chetan bhagat? ;)))

      Delete
  2. Short and sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reviewing the book in a way I've never seen anyone do it. It was nice reading where the episodes of your life lead to the actual review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dude - Review

TL;DR - A Rare mainstream surprise with its heart in the right place. To begin with, I didn't expect any movie to make it to my blog this year, especially Dude. I was skeptical even while booking the tickets, and the pessimism only grew when a couple of close friends said they didn’t like it. For context: I didn’t enjoy Love Today , and Dragon was just okay. But if skepticism can ever lead to a pleasant surprise, Dude definitely proves it. I usually look for one out of two things from a film - a compelling narrative or solid entertainment. I don’t comment much on Tamil films because Tamil cinema, at least from what I have sampled, often misses both and at its worst, treats the female lead as an interchangeable prop, contributing no real agency to the story. It has been a long while since a mainstream entertainer offered a female character with intention, dimension, and presence. Dude does, and that alone deserves acknowledgement. PR struck like a typical Gen-Z actor in his first...

Recap 2025

    2025 was a year of trials, tribulations and triumphs. A mixtape of emotions. A year where either conditional probability did not apply to my life or there were more variables in play. It was a year of shedding: both light and deadweight. The year quietly announced itself towards the end of 2024, when I had a wonderful exploration of the Ripon Building and its surroundings. It quietly set the tone for the new year – wandering, observing and letting curiosity take the lead. The first two months were mildly eventful. I was selected to be the head of Registration Committee for Vibrance. I enjoyed the hustle – the checklist, the controlled chaos and the celebrations. I was simultaneously handling my submission for the semi-finals of the Google Girls’ Hackathon, and I’m grateful to my committee and my parents for being supportive. I had an instrumental phase, and I remember blasting the Imperial March in the middle of the night while working. It turned out to be much better ...

The beauty of antithesis

It is human to crave order Inhuman to resist the antithesis. One steadies the room The other wakes your doom It is all around us, omnipresent. Dare I say, nay, I declare. In nature, in physics In perfect relationships In the blank space of art Or the black text in a white part Youth teaches you to embrace it Experience forces enjoyment Conservatives, resistance. Yet Immortal, its existence.